Le Poste de Pointe Coupee (the Pointe Coupee post) was founded in the 1720s by French and French creole settlers making it one the oldest communities in the Mississippi River Valley. Around 1822 Catherine Dispau (a free woman of color) created a subdivision from her False River plantation at the terminus of a CheminNuef (a new road or path) which linked False River with the older settlement to the north. The village eventually became the parish seat, New Roads. The town hosts the oldest Mardi Gras outside of New Orleans with its first ball in 1881 and the first rolling parade in 1897.
Pointe Coupee has a rich culture and heritage. Historic plantations still stand on the banks of the Mississippi River and Atchafalaya Rivers. Although its economic base is still largely agricultural including raising livestock and cultivating commodity crops like sugar cane, cotton, pecans, soy beans , the community has two energy producing power plants, a plastics facility, a major railroad switching station and oil and natural gas fields. Fine dining, antique shopping, fair and festivals are common place throughout the year, as well as an active summer season of travelers to beautiful False River.