In the late 1800s Darel Zachary sold his 160 acre farm to Illinois Central Railroad who built a track and depot on it.In the 1880s, Zachary sold his land to the Illinois Central Railroad, who built a track and a depot on it The railroad made way for a village to be settled and established which chose the original farmer’s name sake, Zahary. It’s first post office was opened in 1885, and it was incorporated as a city on August 2, 1889.In 1903 a fire nearly destroyed the village save a few historic buildings at the center of the city which survived the fire, the oldest (excluding the depot) being the 1898 Allison House. In the district many of the building were constructed shortly after the fire with early 1900s influences.
Zachary has had a sustained growth over the last decades. It host a multitude of events and activities and has a quality of life that attracts families from all walks of life. Industry and retail abound in this flourishing community. Although Zachary is part of East Baton Rouge Parish its school system separated in 2003 to maintain the highest academic standards that consistently rank it nationally.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.