West Baton Rouge Parish was formed in 1807 but was named Baton Rouge Parish until 1812.The Baton Rouge, Gross-Tete and Opelousas Railroad was chartered in 1853. The company had an eastern terminus on the west bank of the Mississippi River across from Baton Rouge in what later became the City of Port Allen. A steam ferry boat, the Sunny South, made three trips a day to connect the railroad to Baton Rouge.
West Baton Rouge parish presents beautiful historic homes and a variety of landmarks on the river road. It is home to several annual festivals and events including Kite Fest Louisiane and Mardi Gras parades. Educational maintenance and improvement has been a major focus of the school system and Brusly High remains one of the top performers in the state. The small communities on the West Bank continue to grow with sustained commerce and industry and a thriving port.